You can make this meal using condiments that you have in your pantry and it’s a delicious and healthy dinner that you can feel good about serving to your family. The basmati rice has a lower glycemic index than your basic white rice and the chicken is a great lean protein. Coconut oil is a healthy fat that has been shown to reduce inflammation and it also imparts a great flavor to the dish. Once you become more familiar with the recipe you can add any vegetables that you’d like – mushrooms, bok choy, carrots, zucchini, etc.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Serves 4
1.5 – 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 – 4 bell peppers in assorted colors cut into 1-inch pieces
6 scallions cut on the bias (white and green parts separated)
1 20 oz can cubed pineapple with 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice reserved
2 cups of dry basmati rice cooked to package instructions (optional)
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- In a large bowl toss the chicken with 1 tbsp each of soy sauce and cornstarch. Add 1 tsp ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp cornstarch, vinegar, ketchup honey and 1/2 cup pineapple juice. (If you forget to reserve the juice or wish to use fresh pineapple simply use 1/2 cup of water in place of the pineapple juice.) Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet and cook the chicken until browned – 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and white parts of the scallion to the pan and cook until softened – 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan along with the chicken and green parts of the scallions. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken the sauce – 3 minutes. Serve immediately over rice.